The U.S. Census Bureau today published the most recent annual population estimates for Puerto Rico. These statistics refer to July 1, 2017 and include the components of annual population change since July 1, 2010, which support the population estimate since the beginning of the decade. As the leading entity of the Red State Data Center (SDC) of the U.S. Census Bureau in Puerto Rico, the Institute of Statistics of Puerto Rico (Institute) presents this summary of the findings of the new annual population estimates of 2018:
- The population of Puerto Rico was estimated on July 1, 2018 in 3,195,153 people.
- The impact of the hurricanes (Irma and María) of the year 2017 is contemplated in the new estimates. These hurricanes further fueled the declining trend in the size of the population in Puerto Rico. The absolute population change between July 2017 and 2018 was estimated at 130 thousand inhabitants, translating into 3.9% of the total population.
- In comparison with the last 2010 Census, when the official enumeration resulted in 3,725,789 people, the new estimate points to a cumulative decrease in the current decade of close to 14% until 2018.
- In relation to the resident population of 18 years of age or more (of voting age), it was estimated at 2,601,142 million, comprising 81% of the population in Puerto Rico.
- The components of the population change contemplate that, between July 1, 2017 and July 1, 2018, in Puerto Rico about 24 thousand births and 31 thousand deaths occurred. As a consequence, the annual estimates of the population reflect more deaths than births, resulting in natural increase close to -6 thousand people. Regarding migration, the estimated net balance was approximately -123 thousand people during the same period.
More statistics on the annual population estimates of Puerto Rico can be obtained at: https://censo.estadisticas.pr/EstimadosPoblacionales, in the section on population estimates. Information on the methodology used to produce the estimates can be accessed here.
For more information you can visit our website: www.estadisticas.pr. In addition, you can follow us on social networks through Facebook accounts (informes.gobierno.pr), Twitter (@EstadisticasPR) and Linkedin (Statistics Institute of Puerto Rico).